I know everything I know

Thursday, June 01, 2006

If they aren't caving in, they're getting hit by trains

We're looking for a new house.

So we thought we'd found a good buy in Warrenville. Made an offer. Signed a Contract. Had the Inspector come out and...the floors are falling in.

Went back to the looking again.

Found another house. Even better than the first one. Loved it. Had pretty much decided to make an offer on it. But there was this one little nagging thing...it is in Graniteville. Graniteville of course being the site of the train wreck and chlorine spill about a year and a half ago. So I decided to do a little online investigating to see if there had been any further reports of damage etc to the homes in the area.

I type "graniteville sc train wreck home damage" into the google. The first link I click on has this nice big aerial photo of the train wreck. The picture still shows the piled up train cars with corrosive chlorine gas spewing out and sliding across the ground toward some homes in the lower right of the...

...oh son-of-a-bitch!

Guess which little house I see right down there in the bottom right of the photo. It's the little gray house just to the left of the date caption on the photo above.

So I don't know. I just can't bring myself to buy a home, no matter how good it looks, or how many inspections it passes, knowing it was so close to the wreck it actually made it into the stock photo which will forever be associated with a disaster.

Here we go again.

Comments from MySpace

FitterHappier

Well babe, I guess it's better to find out now than later in both cases, right? Oh and by the way, this is the proper spelling "Graniteville." You left out the first e a couple of times. Look at the end of the word- "eville." Kind of makes me think of how a British villan would say "evil." Maybe it's a sign.

Posted by FitterHappier on Thursday, June 01, 2006 at 6:13 PM


monkeybrains803

There I fixed it. Must have been my spell checker.

Posted by monkeybrains803 on Thursday, June 01, 2006 at 7:13 PM


FitterHappier

Yay for falling down houses!

Posted by FitterHappier on Friday, June 02, 2006 at 6:30 PM

No comments: