I know everything I know

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Urban Outfitters Final Week

The final week with Urban went by fairly smoothly.

John is apparently pretty good at keeping something quiet when it doesn’t make him look good. It was Wednesday before anyone at the local site seemed to know anything about me leaving.

I wasn’t going to tell anyone it was my last week except Sonya, the lady I work with in IT. All those good-byes and other niceties…most of which are a bunch of polite crap…I can do without. There were a few exceptions though. A few people I will miss working with and might actually miss having me around. I realized over the last couple of days there are a few people there I wish I’d taken the time to get to know better.

All in all though, this week has been the slowest, most boring week since I arrived. We’ve literally had entire days without a single phone call or eMail. It’s unreal. This should be an extremely busy week with the two major system roll-outs. Instead I find myself sitting in my cube counting the minutes until I can leave. I hate sitting around doing nothing.

One bit of excitement was on Wednesday. I was in the middle of showing Sonya some things with one of our systems which she’ll be maintaining now. Right in the middle of it my access stops working. I try to log into a couple of other servers and get Permission Errors.

Somebody up at corporate apparently decided I no longer needed to be able to do my job. This ticked me off a little considering I was asked to work this week and would much rather be off doing other things. There is a movie I want to see for instance. I could be doing that. Instead I’m sitting there doing nothing.

I left John, my boss in Philly a message. Simply told him that if he no longer wanted me working, he only need say so. Told him about the access issue. Explained that I had a movie I’d rather go see, so just let me know if they were done with me. He called back all freaked out and going on about how he “didn’t do this.” “No one should have done this.” And explained that he was going to get it taken care of immediately. That was at about 1PM.

Around 4:30PM I had my access back and a message pleading with me not to leave yet.

So I stayed a couple more days.

It’s now Friday. I’m done. It’s over. Once again I am without an official, “legitimate” source of income. Oh well…time to go see that movie. ;)

No comments: