I know everything I know

Monday, November 13, 2006

Mid-Term to the Abyss

I voted for the first time last week since coming back to South Carolina. As we all know, there was a thump'in. I can't say I'm too upset about that. At the same time, I'm deeply concerned.

We needed a change. This country is definitely not headed in the right direction. Economy aside, which may or may not be doing better than portrayed in the media, things just aren't going well. That's not entirely our fault. The entire world is circling the drain to the abyss, but since we are THE power in the world today, we are far from without blame.

How did we get here? Years of PC appeasement and a complete lack of vision beyond the next election.

Politics, and society as a whole, have been on a search for the quick-fix for as long as I remember. We may now finally be paying the price for our short-sightedness. Not only are we hamstrung by the "political correctness nazis", we're completely powerless to do any meaningful course corrections in the near term due to years of ill-conceived policy. From the growing world-wide threat of radical-Islam, to the increasing devaluation of the middle-class, and on to the darkening clarity of the coming storm of environmental collapse, we are a civilization in danger. It didn't have to be like this.

The Republicans needed a reality check (and they've been given one). But being given that reality check by the Democrats? ...to that I can only say, "I think I just threw-up a little in my mouth."

1 comment:

Imaginary Broad said...

Watching "The Quiet Earth" (Aussie film) and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" gives me great comfort.